Being obese is different than just being overweight. A person who has a BMI of 30 or more can be considered obese. Obese people are at a greater risk of contracting serious diseases such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. Obesity treatment requires significant lifestyle changes. Obese people are able to successfully lose weight with the right treatment. This includes various combinations of healthy lifestyle changes and medical treatments, which is sometimes enough to help patients who are more susceptible to obesity maintain a healthy weight.
As per World Health Organization, Obesity has reached epidemic proportions globally, with at least 2.8 million people dying each year as a result of being overweight or obese. Once associated with high-income countries, obesity is now also prevalent in low- and middle-income countries.
Causes of Obesity:
- Genetics: Genes control the hormones that affect fat concentrations in the body. Parents who are obese themselves have a higher chance of passing those genes on to
their children and the child will most likely become obese.
- Lack of Caloric Balance: Consuming more calories means those extra calories can be stored in cells. When this happens, it can lead to weight gain.
- An Inactive Lifestyle: Physical inactivity and leisure-time activities such as watching TV, playing video games, and spending too much time on the computer have become prevalent. This is also contributing to obesity because of the reduced need for physical activity with the mechanization of jobs.
- Our Environment: Processed foods and oversized food portions increase the chances of obesity.
- Psychological Factors: Emotional and mental conditions, such as anger and sadness, can lead to weight gain - in situations where people are prone to eating more.
- Diseases: Conditions like hypothyroidism, insulin resistance, polycystic ovary syndrome, and Cushing's syndrome can also lead to obesity.
Health problems associated with Obesity –
- Type 2 diabetes leads to heavier sugar build-up in the bloodstream. While high levels of sugar in the blood can result in health complications and reduced insulin production, reducing sugar intake will allow for healthier blood sugar levels and more efficient insulin production.
- Heart diseases like Arrhythmia - an irregular heartbeat, Atherosclerosis-hardening of the arteries, Cardiomyopathy-heart muscles harden or growing weak, Congenital heart defects- irregularities of the heart from birth, Coronary artery disease, and Heart infection are directly linked to Obesity.
- Fatty liver disease appears when fat is gradually built up in the liver. The pressure it puts on the liver can lead to inflammation and scarring, which could eventually result in liver failure.
- Sleep apnea is a sleep condition that causes interruptions in one's breathing. The restlessness and feeling of being tired could be related to sleep apnea. Untreated, it can cause serious health issues such as diabetes and heart disease.
Obesity treatment requires significant lifestyle changes. Obese people are able to successfully lose weight with the right treatment. This includes various combinations of healthy lifestyle changes and medical treatments, which is sometimes enough to help patients who are more susceptible to obesity maintain a healthy weight.
The Hope Obesity Centre has one of the best teams in Gujarat. With years of experience under their belt, our doctors are up for any problem that comes their way. To book your appointment reach us at+91 7227858598
Let’s fight Together!